[opendtv] Re: 7" ATSC TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 18:24:06 -0400

Steve Wilson wrote:

> Whether you can find one or not, one thing is pretty clear.  No one
> is buying them (small, portable TV's) in the US in any meaningful
> quantity.  In Europe, I suspect they are more popular.  OTA TV is
> more generally accepted - people know what it is.  Here its
> history...people have come to expect that good TV pictures comes
> from wires, not antennas.

I think you nailed it, but I can't understand why. For example, why
would Australians use FOTA TV to the tune of 75 percent, even though
they don't get any more TV channels FOTA than we do here, in most decent
markets? Their situation should be more like here than like the UK or
Italy.

But I do see folks with portable TVs here and there, e.g. at picnics, so
there's *some* market for them. We have one in the kitchen.

> Whats the impact of the modulation on this?

I think this whole modulation impact has become nil these days. ATSC is,
if anything, easier to receive now than DVB-T is for many European
households that use it. Simply because ATSC stations tend to transmit at
higher ERP. It is very rare in Europe to be able to receive DTT from 80
Km away with just a UHF loop, yet I can do this reliably. ERP is the
main reason. Ditto for local stations, for indoor reception.

The real difference, IMO, is that in the US, an ATSC user (or any OTA TV
user) is pretty much expected to make the system work without any help.
Whereas in European countries, there are professionals who do that work.
It's really that simple. If you have reception problems, call the
expert. That's how it's done. They do a good job, including installing
the LNA on the antenna mast, if needed. They know which repeaters to go
for. They know the tricks in that market.

Besides which, many Europeans live in apartment buildings, where it's
next to impossible for an apartment owner or renter to go install his
own antenna. And the general rule is that you cannot receive many
channels with rabbit ears, given the low ERP. Analog or digital. Go
around any European country where OTA TV is popular, and you'll see OTA
TV outdoor antennas everywhere.

> As it is, MediaFlow is about to get to crammed down our
> throats along with the high service fees that go with it.

I can assure you, my throat will be clear.

However, the way I see it, the notional MediaFLO SFN network between
Wash DC and NYC requires 30 medium power transmitters. And with those,
it achieves less coverage area than TV broadcasters get with four big
sticks (Wash, Balt, Phila, NYC). So it's practically a given that the
system will need subscription fees to remain viable. The good news for
MediaFLO is, Americans show no resistance to this whatever.