[opendtv] Re: 7" ATSC TV

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 12:17:55 -0400

Bert,

As Bob Miller's video showed, DVB-T can have decent mobile right out of the box, without DVB-H or HM-Modulation. Sure, there will be some breakup, but good enough to entertain the kids in the back seat.

Not so with even 5th Gen ATSC, so not only are you taking the already miniscule potential market for 7" ATSC receivers, you are further marginalizing that market by limiting the circumstances in which it can be used, i.e. stationary or perhaps pedestrian speed use only.

No matter, between E-VSB, A-VSB, and MPH, at some point there will be an ATSC solution that will duplicate DVB-T performance, albeit with a much larger data penalty hit. That's the price we pay for having "stayed the course."

John

----- Original Message ----- From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Anyone who wants a portable receiver after analog goes off the air. Same
as DVB-T. And if broadcasters had been more creative about their use of
multicasts, anyone even before analog cutoff who wants to have access to
the multicasts on a portable receiver. I understand one typical customer
is the guy who needs the TV at ball games. Or at a cookout.