[opendtv] Re: 625 video quality is good enough....

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 10:42:37 -0400

At 4:54 PM +0100 10/19/04, Alan Roberts wrote:
>Correct, 1024x576/50p has a lot going for it. It's one of our options, and
>I'd like to see it in the hierarchy of usable resolutions.

It would be a major coup if Europe could establish this as the lowest
level of resolution in such a hierarchy. Just for the record, this is
exactly what we recommended in the SMPTE/IEEE Task Force Report on
Digital Image Architecture. And we suggested that this raster be used
in the US.

>We need both 50 and 60 because of production problems. If you live in a
>509Hz country, your lighting runs at 50. Try shooting at 60 and you have to
>take special measures to remove flicker. And vice versa. This situation will
>be with us until incandescent filament lamps disappear. This issue isn't
>going away; just ask anybody who makes programmes, it's one of the biggest
>problems I have when coaching DoPs through the problems of shooting
>"off-speed".

Didn't we just go through this discussion recently? It seems like
more of an excuse that a real problem. At least, we know how to avoid
the problem. Given the fact that there will be MANY additional costs
for HD production, using appropriate lighting does not seem like much
of a stretch.