[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2005 08:32:52 -0500

Mitchell,

And if OnDigital had made a few better business decisions the UK would
have a very successful subscription based service competing with SKY
today. The installed receivers helped but was not critical in my
opinion. The installed base was critical in creating Freeview in the
first place you could say.

I also said the OnDigital would be wildly successful. I thought they
were even as they shut down. I still don't understand why the investors
in that business let it fail. And I will predict that a similar venture
in the US will also be "wildly successful" to the utter amazement of all
current players. It seems totally self evident to me.

The ONLY problem is having a decent modulation or in the case of a
horrific 8-VSB, a decent minimally acceptable receiver. In talking to
Asia I am completely flabbergasted that they seem to think low cost is
more important than working receiver. They honestly seem to think that
it doesn't have to work to be successful. Something to do with Mandate I
guess.

Bob Miller