[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 11:20:52 -0500

> And it might also work with computer control to make the PCHD cards in
> MythTV etc. really shine.  But I have no idea how to build one.

I don't get how it will help in the case of MythTV. No amount of software
finessing will
correct the transport packet stream at the driver level. You will have better
luck shaking a
bottle of coke, popping the lid, then trying to put all the coke back into the
bottle.

Also forget any Windows tuner card -- their directshow and kernel drivers are
in the same
boat as the PCHD cards (actually even worse because you have another level of
abstraction
and most won't even give you the transport packets at the driver level or the
directshow
level).

Something like GNU radio or a programmable chipset where you can inject
firmware before
triggering it via software API is the only way to go.

Cheers
Kon