[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: Ron Economos <k6mpg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 03:05:19 -0800

At my work location in Milpitas, CA 95035, turning
on the FM trap on the distribution amplifier makes a
world of difference with the Samsung T165. Antenna
is a small VHF/UHF log-yagi on the roof of a one story
building that's pointed in no particular direction (rotor
controller is in a lab that I don't have access to).
KQED-DT on RF channel 30 goes from massive
break-ups to perfect copy.

KBHK-DT on RF channel 45 goes from occasional
break-ups to perfect copy.

KNTV-DT on RF channel 12 (8.9 kW ERP) goes from
*not recoverable* to perfect copy.

Of course, the strength of FM stations in the Bay Area
is due to their location on mountain tops. A paper clip
on the input of a spectrum analyzer will show these FM
carriers way above the noise.

The point is, a little front-end filtering can go a long way.
To answer Tom's question directly, yes you can add
a bandpass filter to the antenna input of your receiver.
For HF receivers, these devices are called pre-selectors
and (at least in the olden days) were manually tuned.
I don't know of any out-board tunable bandpass filters
for television frequencies, but manual tuning is a non-
starter for consumers electronics. The correct solution
is a tracking (electronically tuned) bandpass filter in the
receiver.

Ron