[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Terry Harvey <tjharvey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 15:07:42 -0700

Furthering Craig's argument below , we must all expect that MPEG-2 will be
a quaint artifact from the past by 2030.

As for the modulation, I would suspect that further improvements will be
made to 8VSB reception technology. Consider that 8VSB as used for US DTV is
considerably more efficient than COFDM in terms of channel usage (8VSB has
no guard interval to contend with and less training information). In other
words for an 8VSB-COFDM equivalent C/N, 8VSB wins for data throughput vs
bandwidth.

With development in channel estimation and correction techniques in twenty
five years, current 8VSB modulation will likely support mobile delivery.

Regards,

Terry Harvey