[opendtv] Re: '50s Gray-Hoverman TV antenna design

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Sep 2009 15:14:42 -0400

http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/

> Or, Google Gray-Hoverman.
>
> The antenna is installed in the vertical plane instead
> of being installed like a traditional horizontally
> mounted TV antenna.

Cliff, when I saw this, I thought "looks awfully similar to the Antennas
Direct DB4 or Channel Master 4221." And sure enough, check out the
performance comparison:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/ota/superantenna/performance.htm

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Gray-Hoverman was retuned
for UHF channels only up to 51 or so, whereas the Channel Master 4221 is
evidently still set up through Ch 83. So just push the Channel master
curve a little to the left to see how a retuned design might compare.

The Antennas Direct DB4 is spec'ed out to Ch 69. So its curve may be
closer to that of the Gray-Hoverman.