[opendtv] 3D at NAB

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 13:58:46 -0400

Thanks for the comments.

There were several no-glasses 3D displays. You might be talking about the one from Alioscopy. There was also a range at Franhofer: two 8-view, one 9-view, and one 5-view. To me, the 5-view looked best.

In the 3D field, there wasn't 3D at every booth, but there WAS 3D at every aisle. 3D "products" and "solutions" ranged from dual coax (Belden 1694D) to Harris claiming to offer "end-to-end 3D" when they sell nothing on either end (acquisition and presentation).

Two 3D solutions that stood out to me were Pace-Fujinon and Screen Subtitling, both of them because they recognize the present 3D business environment: 3D is not ready to be the dominant form of TV, but it is nevertheless being pursued by a number of programming channels, including DirecTV, Discovery, ESPN, and Sky. So here's what those two groups came up with.

In sports, 3D has been shot very differently from 2D. But how long can content providers afford to do dual production, with dual equipment & crews? And what happens when the camera position desired for 3D happens already to be occupied by the camera position for 2D? So, in a tower at Fujinon's booth, there was the Pace-Fujinon Shadow. It starts out as an ordinary 2D camera position: long lens, big camera, etc. Then, on top of the big 2D lens (underneath is an option), Pace rigs two 3D cameras & lenses. That takes care of the 2D-&-3D-in-one-position problem, but there's still the operator problem. So the two rigs are tied together in a range of possible configurations. In one, a zoom of the 2D camera will be matched by the 3D cameras until they run out of range and the 2D continues; in another, the zooms are scaled, so the 2D zooms faster than the 3D.

Is it ideal? Absolutely not. But, for the present dual-shooting environment, it's at least economically feasible. Kudos to them.

Screen Subtitling addressed the 3D-graphics issue. If a graphic occludes a part of a 3D picture but is set in the screen plane, then, if the 3D comes out in front of the screen, the graphic is difficult to process visually due to conflict between the occlusion cue (most powerful at all distances) and the stereoscopic depth cues (second most powerful at short distances). MANY companies at NAB showed systems for generating 3D graphics that avoid that problem, but, again, that's new, expensive equipment for what will initially be tiny audiences. So Screen Subtitling made use of the fact that common distribution of 3D signals is in a side-by-side format. If the subtitles are added in the side-by-side domain, then they're simply a long line of repeated text, with depth controlled by the spacing between the repeats. Existing equipment works just fine. Kudos to them, too.

There were MANY other terrific 3D innovations at the show and a number of 3D cautions. In a 3D remote truck, for example, entering the control room one saw horrendous wrong-eye ghosting even when wearing glasses, leading the truck crew to instruct visitors to sit down. Some of the 3D display technologies being exhibited had very restrictive vertical viewing angles. What works for a director sitting at the front bench doesn't necessarily work for a producer standing behind the rear bench.

Another caution was nicely addressed in 3ality's dual-camera rigs. If you shoot 3D for TV, eye divergence might not occur until, say 80 pixels of positive parallax. But blow the same images up to a theatrical screen, and 8 pixels might do it, a problem that won't be noticed by anyone looking at a small monitor. 3ality indicates when there will be a large-screen divergence problem even when no one can see it.

FYI, for those who couldn't make it to my Digital Cinema Summit 3D keynote, it has now been posted on my website:
http://schubincafe.com

You may download it directly here:
http://schubincafe.com/files/2010/04/Schubin_2010_DCS_NAB.ppt

One caution: Although the charts in my presentation ARE the ones presented by Professor Martin Banks at the HPA Tech Retreat (and used with his permission), I had a discussion with him the night after my presentation, and he made revised versions. According to the new charts, vergence depth out to infinity might be comfortable at viewing distances of about 3.2 meters and beyond. But Professor Banks points out that the new charts are still based on assumptions, and more research is needed.

TTFN,
Mark

On 4/19/2010 1:15 PM, dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

"I didn't attend this year; but one of my Producer friends did.
Friday, I sat down with him and asked him about all this "3D" buzz.
He looked at me with a puzzled look.  He thought the biggest thing was
acquisition using Digital SLR cameras such as the Canon 5D.  (An
episode of Fox's "House" was recently shot using one 5D camera.)

"He saw a lot of camera accessory booths prominently featuring the
Canon 5D camera and their accessories.

"It's an interesting observation, as two news photographer friends who
attended mentioned the 3D as well.  I guess folks in different fields
took away different perspectives."  --Don Moore

Yes, your friend is quite correct that the DSLR was well represented as a capture device. I didn't pay much attention to it except to say that I was amazed at the sophistication of the accessories and lenses that were displayed. I was surprised to see so many DSLRs hung on a $200,000+ lenses.

But I thought 3D was more prevalent; but that could be because of sheer number of displays everywhere.

By the way, one company (I wish I wrote down the name) was displaying 3D content on a screen that that was truly 3D without any eyewear. The effect was fine except there was only depth from the screen surface to infinity with nothing jumping out to the viewer. I did not ask about the particulars. The effect remained as one walked to the sides of the monitor but in stepped increments.

I am always interested in Mark Schubin's view of NAB. He always finds such great things that are buried amongst the overly obvious.

Dan