[opendtv] Re: 30 ft requirement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 12:08:06 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

> If what you write is true and outdoor antennas are commonplace
> in europe, then why the hell do we expect indoor types to work
> over here?

Because both here and there, indoor antennas *can* work, under
the right circumstances. One problem with indoor antennas in
European cities is that people tend to live in multi-unit
apartment buildings, the newer ones of which are made of
reinforced concrete. This makes it an iffy proposition to
get ghost-free signals indoors.

> If the US has much worse field strength uniformity than in
> europe how can we possibly expect little indoor antennas to
> work when they don't have a chance compared to an outdoor
> type mounted on a 30 ft pipe?
>
> Magic?

Cliff, we're talking about people making a big deal out of
small differences. People in Europe who live as far as you
do from an urban area will universally rely on outdoor yagis
(log periodics, if you prefer).

On the other hand, we use an indoor antenna very effectively
for our upstairs system, for stations that are typically
within about 15 miles away, or one as far as 31 miles distant.

Things aren't nearly as different as some posts imply.