[opendtv] Re: 20051129 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: John Willkie <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 07:46:19 +0000 (GMT+00:00)

Mark, in his most recent Tuesday Tribute, reported in part:

"- The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is reminding DTT broadcaster=
s that, if they're using their channel for anything other than free-to-view=
 TV programming, they need to file with the commission by December 1:
"

Having read the public notice, with all due respect, I have to question why=
 Mark characterized supplemental and ancillary services as "anything other =
than free-to-view TV programming"  Digital radio is not listed as an ancill=
ary or supplemental service under 47 C.F.R. =C2=A7 73.624(g), nor under 47 =
C.F.R. =C2=A7 73.624(b)  or 47 C.F.R. =C2=A7 73.624(g)()(i) through (ii).

Were it me, I would have said "other than free-to-view programming",. but I=
 might have missed a definition somewhere that includes "digital radio" and=
 "data broadcasting" PER SE as supplemental and ancillary.  I take that bac=
k -- ancillary never means broadcast, and broadcast means in the clear and =
never includes Pay TV.

John Willkie

P.S.  It appears that the FCC will now -- belatedly -- destroy the "gatekee=
per" business model of cable tv by permitting ala carte pricing.  Makes one=
 wonder what this portends for DTV must carry.  The Martin commission is no=
t a clone of the Powell commission.