[opendtv] Re: 20041220 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 09:17:34 -0500

>(If most markets out there have no more than
>six local OTA stations, wouldn't carriage of
>the entire DTT multiplex only constitute a
>total of 3 6-MHz cable channels (256-QAM)? It
>is difficult to believe that there isn't room.)

Space is not the issue. Control of your own property is.

Carriage of broadcast signals is but one possible source of content
for cable systems. And it comes with some baggage, like
retransmission consent payments, or in-kind "payments" such as the
preferred carriage of non-broadcast networks. Alternative sources of
content often come with additional income for the cable system. Each
program from a broadcast multiplex may take up as much room as
another service that can generate revenue for the cable system, such
a delivery of a pay-per-view event.

So the issue is NOT that cable systems do not have enough room. The
issue is that they have no economic incentive to continue helping
broadcasters build their business. As you noted  earlier in this
post, the real test SHOULD BE consumer demand for the content. But
with this "test" the broadcast networks do not get the benefit of
forcing content on the cable system and demanding payment for it. The
NCTA notes that the primary programs from more than 450 DTV stations
are now being carried by cable systems, and that many PBS multiplexes
are being carried. ALL of this is based on voluntary carriage based
on the marketplace, rather than FCC regulations; and most of these
stations are ALSO being carried on the analog tiers.

I "agree" with Bert, that the marketplace should decide.