[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 16:45:37 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> You keep referring to this, but it is my understanding that
> the reason why
> most chip manufacturers ignored the training sequence and
> went with blind
> adaptation was the fact that the training signals were too few and far
> between to use in tracking any sort of dynamic multipath.

A more direct way to address this point is this. If you have
reasonably good dynamic echo performance from your equalizer,
then it's likely that a more positive sync pattern every 24 msec
will help a lot. Because it means the equalizer only needs to
track for a short time on its own.

It also means that sync loss becomes less of a problem when
it does occur.

So I think that adding this extra tool can only help.