[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 17:30:49 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

For most of the Met distribution, the rate has been under 20 Mbps.
For Japan and for the Franco-German Arte HD home network, it has
been over 50.

Many of the projectors are 768- or 720-line.

Signal distribution is always 1080i, sometimes 29.97 (the production
format), sometimes 25 (via motion-compensating HD standards
conversion).

So, considering that the presentations have gotten very good reviews, does this indicate that perhaps movie studios and theaters should consider going to digital cinema using plain old HDTV formats? Or are these shows displayed on less than the whole movie screen?

I know that the digital pre-show stuff the AMC theater chain presents is not as good as you'd need for the real show. From where we sit, typically slightly lerss than half-way back in the theater, I can essentially count the pixels. I believe these are SDTV-quality projections (not positive on that).