[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 19 May 2007 21:58:58 +0200

And the new codecs are only at the beginning of their improvement curve.
So why restrict us to the lower figure ? The 1080 format is designed to be close to the eye resolution limit under a 30 ° angle which means we should be able to perceive the increased sharpness.

Because 98% of the marktt will use display technology at the lower figures, and the content will look as good or better on the small number of really big screens because the distribution pipes are NOT going to be used to satisfy the needs of a few percent of the audience.

What i was arguing initially is this"a-medium-sized-flat-panel-display-is-all-an- honest-citizen-will-ever-need" attitude may not be for ever, after all. Once people have seen what a big screen can do in a home, the trend might reverse, perhaps quickly (with trends and fashions strange things may happen).

Then big screens will become mainstream, and it will make sense to broadcast for them. Otherwise, people might notice that the picture is softer than with their HD-whatever players (on the other hand, if the current trend to push 60 Hz disc players to the european market persists, people will also notice that motion rendition for films is better on broadcasts than with their players).

I am glad to know that for current films at least, we might get a proper 1080p quality (even if its transmitted as 50i), but what if filmmakers take advantage of some proposals of the DCI and start shooting at 48 fps? With 50p, it would be easy to do a "pal" speed up. With 50i you have to throw away half of the film information contents. With 25p you might have to artificially amplify motion blur, as its reduction would probably be the main purpose of shooting at those frame rates (would that be possible electronically ?)

Speaking of that, i am beginning to perceive the motion blur in digital projections as "slightly annoying". I wonder if this is tied to 24 p or to DLP. If it's 24p, then i'd be happy to see a switch to 48.