[openbeosnetteam] Re: stack

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 22:24:23 +0200 (added by postmaster@wanadoo.fr)

> > > I would prefer to just rename it to net_stack or something like
> > > this (like give it a name: "bone", "walter", or whatever ;-))

What about YANK (Yet Another Network Kit) ?
Sorry, can't find any acronym from "Walter".
;-)

> the userland network
> stack driver and the network stack driver for the kernel stack both
> have the same name (or else libnet.so would have some difficulties in
> talking to it).

Beside that point, the /dev/net/* ethernet drivers we rely on to talk
network cards can't be shared between concurrent etwork stacks.

> IIRC the modules have to be recompiled as userland add-ons also (at
> least they were located in another directory for the userland stack),
> but I guess we could change this.

Yep. However, as the kernel land is the main focus, I've put the
modules
code under /current/src/add-ons/kernel/net/*, even if their code
can be compile as userland add-ons too.
I don't plan to put duplicated modules code into the userland
add-ons directory (/current/src/add-ons/net/*) for this exact reason.

-Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Misfortune, n.: