[openbeosnetteam] Re: socket lib...

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 18:03:13 CET (+0100)

> I'm sure there's more that I haven't listed, but that's the basic.
> What I
> can't figure out (and again I've been up all night so this may be
> obvious)
> is how we do this. I mean we have a server running as a process and
> the
> stack lives within that process. So, we need to somehow call into the
> stack
> to pass in/out data, but that's the bit I don't get. I could see the

More or less the only way to communicate to other teams (regardless on
which side of the system) is via ports/areas/semaphores and a command
queue.

Basically, we could have a shared area between the server and each
client using libsocket.so. In this area, we put our commands on the
client side, and "parse" them on the server side, and put back results
in there.
Now we can use port communication to tell the server: hey, there is a
new command in the queue at offset x. The client and the server have to
communicate the area_id to share first, of course.
We could also use a semaphore (although I am not sure if there is some
extra magic involved to share them between teams) to signal for new
commands in the queue.

Is this clear enough?

We can start to use ioctl() and close() when we have a driver /dev/net/
socket.

Adios...
   Axel.