[openbeosnetteam] Status

  • From: "Emmanuel Jacobs" <emmanuel.jacobs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:42:12 +0200

Ok guys,

Here is the time for a little information exchange ;-)

Below is information about my work within the OBEOS network team.

I collected various softwares related to low level networking stuff (Nat,
PPPoE, netork drivers, ...) in order to have some example codes.
Then I searched for technical documentation about how to build code related
to low level networking stuff (how to write (network) drivers, what are
modules, how does the network preference pannel work , what are network
related APIs ?, etc.)

I'm currently exploring how we could build a piece of code to interface
directly with (actual) network drivers.
I found an old piece of code called E-Drive which was a tool built for
testing ethernet driver (ping and ARPs) whithout the need of using the
NetServer.
I have problem to compile this and, because I'm not a BeOS guru coder, I
think somebody could help me with that :-p

I think someone else could collect information and build example codes on
how to substitute NetServer application APIs with our own.

Something else could be done to solve the problem of building our own
Network Preference Pannel application.

Other problems are remaining at this stage:  How does the DHCP thing
interface with the NetServer ? What about the PPP thing ? Etc.

Anybody wants to take some positions ?

Could it be of interrest to contact former beos coders who did network
related stuff to ask them if they would be interrested to join our team or
the OpenBeOS project ?

For information, I can't currently allocate more than 1 hour a day to OBEOS.

Another information, several weeks ago I started
openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx distribution list for topics directly related
to network team/stuff.

Please feel free (oh yes, please do so;-) to share ideas and comments.

    Best Regards,

       Emmanuel