[openbeosnetteam] Re: Status

Oliver Tappe wrote:

Well, it *is* very tempting to have a go at doing a stack of our own,
especially since there all of a sudden are several developers who want to
start working on the netstack. Furthermore, it should prove very helpful
that there's at least three different sources to look at (and copy
functionality from): FreeBSD, our current stack and Marrow (don't know
about all you other guys, but I intend to check that one out, too).

When I had a look, Marrow's net_data concept seemed similar to BONE's bone_data.
I did not really like it. IMHO, it's not simpler than mbufs.

So are we going to have some kind of official decision about this then? New
stack or port?

I'd love a new and very clean netstack ala Haiku! :)

I think I'd vote for the new stack, it will be more work, but not that much
more, considering how the FreeBSD code looks. Of course it would be a pain
to integrate (leave alone) implement IPsec, but I don't know if that'll be
necessary anyway.

IPsec is a MUST for IPv6. It is part of the standard.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald