[openbeosnetteam] Re: Status

  • From: "Andrew Galante" <haiku.galante@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 08:57:30 -0400

On 6/14/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Since we all seem to like that code so much, maybe we should step away
from the idea of porting the FreeBSD stack? We could still use it as a
coding reference (ie. what has to be done and how should it work etc.).
With you, Andrew, and me, and maybe someone else like Marcus jumping
in, we've quite a bit engineering power at our hands to implement a
clean stack based on FreeBSD and what we have (and other sources, as
well, if preferred).

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Since understanding and solving locking issues caused by working
> > around
> > the netisr stuff requires a good understanding and overview over
> > the
> > existing code, this is a good source of introducing hard to track
> > bugs
> > (or performance bottlenecks) as well.
> Yes, that's correct, but I don't see how the layer-by-layer approach
> helps
> with this, especially since the netisr stuff is used for transition
> between
> different layers.

A layer-by-layer or module-by-module approach wouldn't duplicate the
FreeBSD architecture, and thus, wouldn't be based on netisr to work.

That sounds like a good plan.  Just carving up the FBSD code and its
seemingly random naming scheme will be almost as much work.
I was going to work on the IP stack first, bringing in portions of the core
code as necessary.

Philippe Houdoin wrote:

Also, it allow us to run the stack within BeOS R5, BONE (Dan0 & Zeta)
*and*
Haiku kernels without much issue. When the team started years ago, we
didn't
even have a kernel yet, and we didn't want the code to be useless for the
R5
and BONE kernels, the only available at these times.

How do you set up the stack in R5? I have the current stack working in Haiku - passing single packets around isn't much trouble.