[openbeosnetteam] Re: Some quick questions

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 08:32:23 +0200 CEST

"Urias McCullough" <umccullough@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Yes, but there's slow and *slow* >;o)
> > Currently it really is too slow to be useful, at least on my
> > machines. I'll
> > spend some time trying to figure out what the problem is, if it's
> > related to
> > a specific network chipset (driver) or if it's a problem within he
> > stack.
> It appears that you've already discovered this, but i'll post my
> results anyway:
>
> It seems to me that the rtl8139 driver is a bit flaky and slow... in
> case that's what you're using.  The ipro1000 driver running in VMWare
> is pretty slick I have found.
>
> The rtl8139 driver tends to stop working after a few pages are loaded
> in a browser...
>
> This worries me a bit, since I used this driver as the basis for the
> dp83815 driver I ported from bebits - I have a feeling there may be
> some bad locking or memory allocation there that I don't understand.

AFAIK the rtl8139 driver was never tested that good, and maybe wasn't
even finished. We have several working (under R5 as well) network
drivers in our repository. I can say for sure about the SiS 900 driver
which you could use to check if your "ported" driver is correct.
What did you need to change anyway? A BeOS driver should compile under
Haiku without changes.

Bye,
   Axel.