[openbeosnetteam] Re: I want to work on porting RALink driver

  • From: Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Jul 2009 12:31:13 +0200

Axel Dörfler schrieb:
Colin Günther <coling@xxxxxx> wrote:
Would the API exposed to the drivers will be very different when you have developed the Haiku specific wifi stack? I am
The Haiku specific WiFi API will be very different from the FreeBSD one. For example: FreeBSDs WiFi driver interacting very closely with the WiFi stack. The Haiku stack will be more loosely coupled by relying on ioctls.

Have you started writing some design documents? I would have assumed
No design documents at the moment, besides my whiteboard drawings. Basically I'm going to use the same design as for the ethernet device module. My module is called bosii in contrast to the ethernet module. So yes I'm going to use the module mechanism ;-) The WiFi-Stack will communicate with the driver by using ioctls mainly.
The WiFi state machine itself will be controlled by the bosii module.
I hope that this design approach will easen the writing of native WiFi drivers compared to their FreeBSD counterparts.

-colin
you'll be using the module mechanism for the WiFi stack; I'd be interesting in learning a bit more about your approach.

Bye,
   Axel.