[openbeosnetteam] Re: Alternative stacks (was: Re: Status)

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:01:22 +0200 CEST

Ville Koskinen <vrkosk@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, now that you're thinking of alternatives, here's something I
> mentioned to Axel last month in passing:
>
> http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/lwip/
>
> lwIP, short for "lightweight TCP/IP stack" is a miniature
> implementation of IPv4, IPv6, ICMP, UDP, TCP, PPP, DHCP, and ARP,
> with
> an optional BSD-like interface. (I haven't perused the code, so I
> don't
> know if they implement full IPv6 with security features.) Yes, it is
> lightweight and could be considered incomplete from the Haiku
> viewpoint. However, I'm of the opinion that taking a light
> implementation, integrating it, and then adding features is easier
> than
> taking a full-blown implementation and integrating it. This is
> because
> the full-blown implementation tends to have more inertia, so to
> speak.

I had a short look at it, and while it doesn't look too bad, it's a
relatively young stack and not really under heavy development. There is
also quite a number of open bugs left we'd inherit from them.
So I would not really recommend looking at that implementation too
deeply (although it can be another source to look at).

Bye,
   Axel.