[openbeosmediakit] soundcard API :-(

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <dos4gw@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 00:49:26 +0200

I need some suggestions! If you know something about this topic, please comment.

During development of my AC97 driver, I reviewed the available APIs. None
of them seems to be the "right" one.

First there is the R3 one. It does not allow to add mixers that map individual
like selection a "stereo mix of all active sound inputs" as a source. Only
4 predefined sources are available. There is also no way to add something
like a control for 3d enhancement.

Next API I tried was the multiaudio API. I noticed that the documentation allows
individaul mixer names. However, the mixer ioctls never get called,
and after reviewing the multi_audio.media_addon in
using "strings", "nm", and Diskprobe I had to realize that its not implemented.
Also the API is fairly complex.

There is a R4 api for mixer(gain ciontrol) and mux(connection selection),
but it does not seem to be documented, except by the driver
in /boot/optional/sample-code/drivers/sonic_vibes

Dano introduced another API, called game audio, or whatever.

Question: what should be our direction? Rewriting the multi audio api
media add-on, to support the currently missing functionality?
Dropping it (there are only two BeOS R5 drivers that seem to use it)
Documenting,  extending the R4 API?
Simplifying the multiaudio API (I don't like the multi-buffer-exchange)?
Creating a new one?
Creating another, with a more streaming like approach?

Requirements: It should be easy to write a driver that conforms to the API,
and it should provide low latencies.

Please, send some suggestions...