[openbeosmediakit] Re: media adds on

  • From: Stephan Assmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 13:45:30 +0200

Salvatore Benedetto wrote (2007-07-12, 13:38:04 [+0200]):
> you mean /boot/beos/system/boot/Bootscript ?
> I changed the line exec > /dev/null 2>&1 to
> exec > /dev/dprintf 2>&1 , am I supposed to see messages in the terminal
> now? Because I don't see anything.

Sorry, I cannot comment on this.

Another way to see some output is to quit the already running media_server,
and launch a new instance in a terminal. You should also see the output
from the nodes that are loaded by the addon server, because that one is
started by the media_server, so it's output should also be routed to the
terminal.

> In order to have the media_addon loaded, it has to placed under
> /boot/beos/system/add-ons/media right? Apparently the only media add ons
> that gets loaded is the mixer, while the usb_webcam is not longer loaded
> even if it's there. Since it used to get loaded, before I started coding
> it,
> I need to know why it doesn't get loaded anymore,  and for that I need
> its, or the
> media_server, debug info. :)
>
> Is there any documentation about media addons development or something
> close?

AFAIK, only what is in the BeBook. I think there is a virtual function
"WantsAutoStart()" or something. And you can specify if your node is a
"Physical" Input/Output. That might help too.

I know media node development can be challenging, particularily because
documentation is sparse. Your best bet is to look at the existing nodes in
the Haiku tree. Those were either done by knowledgable people and/or are
based on sample code from Be. So they provide the most up to date
"documentation" you can get.

Best regards,
-Stephan