[openbeosmediakit] Re: libFMedia

  • From: Daniel Fischer <dan@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 00:47:39 +0000

On Wed, Aug 14, 2002 at 07:17:40PM +0200, Axel Dörfler  wrote:

> > that i am currently investigating the possibilities to create a
> > similar (yet much
> > simpler) structure on a portable base, just to be independent of any
> > proprietary OS
> > manufacturer selling out.
>
> That's basically what we are doing :-)

hm. i disagree. what you guys are doing is to recreate the BeOS MediaKit, yes?
true, if the OBOS project is successfull (which i sincerely expect and hope :),
we will be independent from proprietarism. but it is a huge difference to what
i am investigating, namely, getting something similar to the MediaKit on a
_portable_ basis. that is, the basics should run on (O)BeOS, Linux, BSD, OSX
and even (if someone takes some efforts, certainly not me :) Windoze.

any media_node developed for the MediaKit will still only run on OBOS. the
MediaKit relies on BeOS infrastructure. that is its main strength, and its main
weakness.

regards,
-dan