[openbeosmediakit] Re: device driver

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 00:44:50 CEST (+0200)

> Hi all, this is my first post :)

Be welcome!

> I'm not signed to any part of the project, yet.
> I'm not a very expert programmer, but i would like to ask something:
> I'm looking at the current code of the media=5Fkit.
> I'm interesting in undestand how the media=5Faddon=5Fserver and the
> media=5Fserver
> speak to the kernel.. ok they use the ioctl calls.. Can I ask the
> kernel to
> tell me witch drivers are loaded and working for audio=3F How can I
> undestand
> if the stream from the driver is littlendian/bigendian=3F

They don't have to know which drivers are loaded, because the kernel
only loads drivers when you ask him to do that.
And AFAICT the media node that's responsible for getting the audio
stream into the system, just opens the driver(s) available under /dev/
audio/whatever, and agree on a format for the data stream using ioctls.
It could also be that the old driver system required the data in a
specific format, I don't know.
What exactly are you interested in=3F

Adios...
   Axel.