[openbeosmediakit] Re: Current media kit development

  • From: Kian Duffy <myob87@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2004 01:11:28 +0100

>I recently managed to get haiku media kit working with Zeta RC3,
>which I'm using because of it's better network stack.

It always worked on Dano IIRC, at least I've been using it on Dano for
a while. Did Zeta change something else?

>I removed the icons from media_server and media_addon_server,
>since they are most likely copyrighted and can't be used.

They are under a licence which allows "fair use" IIRC, as are all
icons in R5 bar the RealPlayer ones. Details were on Be.com back when
it was still a real site.

>A new media kit preview version is scheduled to be available on 1st October
>2004.

Nice. Might help quiten the (completely untrue) "Haiku aren't doing
anything" crud on OSNews

>Anything more missing? Please report!

Well, I've been using the kit now for a fair while, updating any times
theres a change. Stable as anything. However:

Last time I checked the MS-ADPCM decoding from the avcodec decoder was
a bit bad. Didn't play the BeBeep.wav and BeStartup.wav files right

Cinepak in AVI's wasn't colour converted correctly, leaving it
displaying a plain grey window

And theres the long long standing "free format unsupported" thingy in
the MP3 decoder

Other than that, no problems. Great work, Marcus!

Kian