[openbeosmediakit] Current media kit development

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2004 13:12:09 +0200 (CEST)

small progress report on the haiku media kit.

I recently managed to get haiku media kit working with Zeta RC3,
which I'm using because of it's better network stack.

To have a better integration, I changed the MIME signature of the
media kit server applications to match those of BeOS/Zeta.
This way, media_server can now be restarted by BeOS/Zeta media
preferences properly.

I removed the icons from media_server and media_addon_server,
since they are most likely copyrighted and can't be used.

I changed the deskbar media kit link replicant  (desklink) to allow
starting of Haiku, Zeta or BeOS Media and Sound Preference

I started fixing some bugs in BSoundPlayer and at the same time will
convert it into OpenTracker coding style. It should be ready in 2 or 3

For some time now I've been developing a replacement for MediaPlayer
that allowes proper timing with Haiku media kit. It's not finished, but a
test version should be ready until end of next week. I'm not making the
sourcecode public at the moment.

The AVI reader doesn't allow seeking, this will be implemented as soon as
my MediaPlayer is working.

A new media kit preview version is scheduled to be available on 1st October

Missing features:

AVI doesn't support seek.
MPC doesn't support seek.
OGM doesn't seek to key frames.

Write support for media files is completely missing.
Audio/Video encoding support is completely missing.

System sound events are reported to the media_addon_server,
but are not played back.

Anything more missing? Please report!

Some recently found bugs (still not fixed):

The BeOS R5 and Zeta legacy.media_addon doesn't answer on BParameter
GetValue requests, and will timeout. This is annoying for media preferences,
and most likely cause by a bug in the media kits instantiating of add-ons that
prevents starting the messaging thread inside the add-on.

The DefaultManager in media server does write media addon ids to its config
file, and thus will not work properly after a restart if any media node has been
added or removed.

raw_decoder doesn't reorder AIFF samples into the BeOS channel order.

There are more which I don't remember right now. If you found bugs, please
report them here.

Recent versions of Soundplay do not work because it's accessing media
kit internal functions which are undocumented and we can't replicate.
The last version that was working is 4.7.3. Unfortunately the author didn't
respond to my emails, so there seems to be no way to get recent version
working. Please don't report this as a bug, as it's no mediakit bug.

Marcus Overhagen

Arcor-DSL: jetzt ohne Einrichtungspreis einsteigen oder wechseln
Sie sparen 99,95 Euro. Arcor-DSL ist in vielen Anschlussgebieten
verfügbar. http://www.arcor.de/home/redir.php/emf-dsl-1