[openbeosmediakit] Aw: Broken locking in old AddOnManager

  • From: Marcus Overhagen <marcusoverhagen@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:42:05 +0100 (CET)

> Hi there,
>
> just to note it here, since I forgot to put it into the CVS change
> message:
>
> Both AddOnManager::RegisterReader()/Decoder() had a broken locking
> strategy:
>
> void
> AddOnManager::RegisterReader()
> {
>       1) lock
>               check if the reader already exists
>       unlock
>
>       ... initialize reader ...
>
>       2) lock
>               add reader
>       unlock
> }
>
> When you lock again in 2), the same reader could have been added in the
> meantime; you would have to check for its existence again.
> It's better in this case to hold the lock during the whole time, given
> that the whole process is relatively light-weight.

Well the idea was that RegisterReader() is only called from RegisterAddOns()
which is only executed once during startup (and only from a single thread).
The lock is only used to preserve list integrity (Rewind() changes internal
list pointer).

As soon as we implement node watching to dynamically register/unregister
plugins,
will get more complicated, but I still think this locking is ok.

Marcus