[openbeosmediakit] Re: Audio mixer alpha 2 ready

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 01 Sep 2003 01:36:46 GMT

David McPaul <dmcpaul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>       The mixer works here with a ymf744 card.
>       However, there is a lot more distortion in it than with the R5
> mixer.
>       Outputing 44.1 16bit using soundplay and changing the mixer gain I
> get more distortion using both mixers as I move the gain up but the
> alpha2 mixer is a lot worse.

Initially the mixer is at a 0dB position, this means the factor 1 is used for
aplification. Moving it up will increase until factor 7 at the top.
So amplifing audio in the mixer that is already loud will always create
since the data will be clipped by the DAC in the soundcard if you amplify
something that is already loud.
There is nothing that the mixer can do about it, but sometimes you need
the high amplification if the input data is very silent.

(I'm trying to catch up with unread emails right now, this reply might be late)