[openbeosmediakit] Re: Audio Mixer 2 bug

  • From: "Marcus Overhagen" <ml@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosmediakit@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 00:23:34 GMT

> Hi Marcus (and everyone else).  I've noticed a weird bug with the new
> audio mixer (using the AC97 ICH driver, nForce 2 chipset).
> When you access the Media preference app, navigate to AC97 (ICH)
> section of the audio settings prefernce (just below the mixer section).
> When I update the Frame Rate (i dont have to change it, all I do is
> select the current setting again ie. if it was set to 48 KHz, I set it
> to 48KHz again, so all I really do is force an update), the sound gets
> corrupted, with a very loud white noise coming from the speakers.
Yes, that's a strange problem. I already noticed it. Although
I'm the author of both the driver and the mixer, I don't know what's
going wrong. I guess it's the R5 multiaudio media node
that handles the driver.

> Everything reverts back to normal after I restart the Media server.
> This behaviour only occurs with the new audio mixer, with the stock R5
> Pro mixer there is no sound corruption.
The new mixer allows to change sampling formats on the fly.
you can disable this in the settings menu, by selecting
[x] refuse output format changes
in the Setup tab, and it will act like BeOS R5.
I guess we need to investigate this problem later,
i spend some time on it but didn't find any obvious bug.

> PS - another thing, but that is probably an AC97 driver thing.  If I
> boot into BeOS after using Windows (restart), the AC97 driver fails to
> initialise properly, and under Media preferences it doesn't display an
> entry for Audio Out.  If I do a cold start into BeOS, everything is
Strange, but the driver already does a hardware reset, so i don't
know how to fix that.

Thank you for your feedback,

Marcus