[openbeos-midi] Re: mpu401 module

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:38:17 +0100

Hi Greg,

> First off, Congrats on the 1st milestone achievement!

Thanks!

> I am currently working on a midi port driver for the Audigy.

Great! The more drivers, the merrier ;-)

 > I am having some trouble with the mpu401 module.
> I haven't found much documentation on it, and the
> only sample code that uses it I can find is the
> Sonic Vibes source. [...] I see that the hardware
> support is still a ways off [...]

Supporting MIDI drivers is one of the things that the midi_server
must do, but I haven't really studied the protocol yet. Besides the
Sonic Vibes source, the only sample code that I know of is the
AD1816 driver and the echo drivers from the OpenBeOS source tree.
See the following URL for a list of drivers, but not all of them
have source or concern the MPU401:
<http://home.concepts.nl/~hollies/midi/drivers.html>

Since it looks like I'm the one who is going to implement support
for this in the midi_server, I will have to study up on this too,
but so far I'm afraid I can't help you. Maybe some of our resident
lurkers have info/experience with MIDI driver development they would
like to share?

Matthijs