[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: Marc Antonio Sciglimpaglia <omnivore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 23:10:39 -0800 (PST)

On Tue, 2 Apr 2002, Martijn Sipkema wrote:

> Well, Linux has more than just /dev/midi, but for OBOS I thought the kernel
> driver could prove usefull, but then again it is GPL and I don't know if the
> OBOS kernel is too. There are probably other open source drivers for the
> MPU401 out there.

> I think its ok to start with a kernel driver, but I think a modular approach
> is best. So the kernel driver only provides access to the hardware, it does
> not need the have a standard interface. Then a user space module can
> be used to enable access to different kernel drivers. On top of that you
> can then build the high level MIDI kit.

That sounds like a very reasonable plan.

> With all these different MIDI interfaces it is best to not have a standard
> kernel MIDI interface.

True indeed.  This makes a great deal of sense, as that way no particular
specific hardware or port would be assumed to be the MIDI port.  It would
be nice to just have access to the input of whatever device you ultimately
would want to support.

> The MIDI kit internals are not documented.

I found a copy of the BeBook online, and it gave examples of the MidiKit
classes.  Are you speaking of a more acute documentation of its design?
Are there header files that could be examined?  I've noticed that open
source MIDI software is scarce as well for BEOS...

> Do you have the official MIDI 1.0 specification? If yes, how does this
> compare to the specs one can find online?

 I need to check on that, as they are in a reader for one of my Electronic
Music workshops.  I have a feeling that they are the original specs.  I'll
get back to you on that.

-M