[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <msipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Apr 2002 12:16:36 +0100

> >I wrote some applications for the midi2 kit: 1808, 2488, 2489 on bebits.
> >Also apps 1494, 1576, 2201, 2228, 2418 are for the midi2 kit. There
> >aren't that many applications for the old midi kit either and it really
is
> >obsolete.
>
> Let me ask it to you this way. How much different is midi2 from midi?

It is quite different. It does not provide IPC MIDI. Uses millisecond
timestamps, which is probably enough though. All sending is done from
a seperate thread which may not be the best way when a lot of ports
are used.

The midi2 kit is not well documented (allthough I heard that some
documentation was released and later removed from Be's site. Does
anyone have this). There are some issues with how interleaving of
multiple steams is done, and with the timestamping (, some of these
might apply to the old MIDI kit also, but I have not used it much).

> >> We could definately use some help. But midi2 is in the same catagory as
> >> the new interface kit and others. Probably better, but not backward
> >compatible
> >> with previous apps, so not in R1.
> >
> >That's ok.
>
> So, are you interested in helping?

Sure

> >For drivers you should probably take a look at ALSA.
>
> Link?

http://www.alsa-project.org

--martijn