[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: Marc Antonio Sciglimpaglia <omnivore@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Apr 2002 21:48:15 -0800 (PST)

The address for ALSA is:

alsa-project.org

I cannot find any evidence that we would find a major benefit by looking
at ALSA, as(AFAIAA)it is a library for a low latency Linux sound card
implementation, and it is LGPL.  I'm afraid the MIT liscense may start
biting us in the ass on this one, as Linux has a lot of resources
available, but very few in BSD or similar free liscenses.  I believe MIDI
in Linux is covered by a /dev/midi, or something like that.  This is what
I remember from the agonizing attempts at getting MIDI working over a year
ago.  However, I can't possibly be conisidered an authority on this.

MIDI is an exceedingly simple serial protocol, which is available for all
to observe and learn.  I don't necessarily think it is the best idea to be
worrying about hardware drivers at this junture(just a thought).  For one
thing, a great deal of MIDI interfaces these days are popping up in all
sorts of places, especially USB.  You've probably noticed that I'm
rambling like mad at this point, and that is because I'm at a loss as to
where to begin.  Is there a resource online with which I can observe the
MIDI api implementation in Beos?  I can provide links/documentation for
the MIDI spec to all that may be interested.

-M