[openbeos-midi] Re: activity/status?

  • From: "Martijn Sipkema" <msipkema@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2002 22:30:09 +0100

> >Writing a MPU401 driver from scratch shouldn't prove too difficult, but
has
> >someone been able to find documentation on it?
>
> I don't know if anyone is looking...

Well, start looking :)

> >MIDI stream merging nontrivial. The current midi2 kit allows interleaving
> >long system exclusive commands with other (than the allowed system
realtime)
> >commands, even another sysex, which would mess things up, since there is
no
> >way that I know of to identify the sender of a command.
>

> Hmmmm

Hmmmm indeed! Also the SGI MIDI API also does not handle sysex merging as
can be read on their website. So it is not a easy to solve problem. The best
solution
IMHO is to have the 'spray' function return an error saying that a sysex
transfer is
in progress. This is not that easy to implement however.

> >> Sure. As could MIDI support in general. But I think that adding a lot
of
> >this upfront saves developers time, which is really the whole point.
> >
> >I disagree. The way MIDI parsing is done in the old MIDI kit is only for
the
> >most simple applications and will not scale to more complex ones. I don't
think parsing
> >standard MIDI files is an essential part of the MIDI kit. There are
libraries that
> >available that do MIDI parsing and I don't even think they are GPL'ed :).
I even wrote one myself
> >once and would be willing to opensource it (LGPL).
>

> I am not sure that I understand why you feel this way.

What exactly do you not understand?
I'm saying that I think reading/writing standard MIDI files shouldn't be in
the MIDI IO API.

--martijn