[openbeos-midi] Re: Where starting to understand midi_server?

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2002 20:04:08 +0100

Jerome,

> I have the output of "nm midi_server", I know that is an app
> that is started when BeOS begin and finish when BeOS finish.
>
> My first question is : how to acces to function defined in this
> app, Messaging, Direct Access....

From what I have understood so far, most servers are based on a
BApplication, just like normal applications. The kits (the BMidi
class etc) communicate with it by sending and receiving BMessages. I
have not studied the midi_server myself, but I guess the same is
true here.

> with the output of "nm" how define function and parameter that
> will be defined in the app?

We do not have to use the same protocol as Be's midi_server uses.
Running utilities like nm and objdump on the midi_server should just
give us a general idea of how the server works and what it does, but
it does not mean we must do exactly the same things.
--
Matthijs Hollemans
All Your Software