[openbeos-midi] Re: Update (and SBLive midi tester wanted!)

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:33:05 GMT

Greg Crain wrote:
> I started writing the module ages ago.  I recently revisited it, and
> have it compiling.  I am going to work on debugging it this weekend on
my AWE64.

That would be a great news !

> There's still a few things that I am not 100% sure about.

The undocumented workarounds flag in the generic=5Fmpu401=5Fmodule
create=5Fdevice() call, maybe=3F
:-\

> It's probably only days away from getting it to work with one card,
> but if threes two or more cards in a system, I'm not sure how the
> module is supposed to work.
> Is the module copied for each sound card, or is the module only
> loaded once and all cards share it=3F
> I'm not that familiar how modules are used.

Kernel modules are load on demand, and when more than one driver or
other module call get=5Fmodule() on it, he's shared between us, yes.
However, each generic=5Fmpu401=5Fmodule "client" should call
create=5Fdevice() first, and pass in void **out=5Fstorage argument a place
to keep
an "handle" to client specific data. That way the MPU401 module attach,
with client help, each specific module "client" (aka sound card driver)
data...

> Is the midi=5Fparser even used=3F

Good question!
I guess his purpose is to help midi driver coders to implement in their
driver a read() hook that return full, valid, MIDI event bytes, as the
midi=5Fserver expect to get at least one event per read() call.

> Also- is there anyone on this list that has an SBLive and midi
> interface that wants to test a midi port driver=3F

Well, me.
But I would have reconnect my MIDI keyboard to the sound card...

>  I was also working on an add-on driver for the SBLive.  For the
> SBLive I was talking right to the midi server, so what I learned is
almost a cut-n-> paste to the module.

Looks interesting!

-Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The Briggs/Chase Law of Program Development:
        To determine how long it will take to write and debug a
program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and
convert to the next higher units.