[openbeos-midi] Status update

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 20:14:21 +0100

Hi all,

Here's my weekly status update.

1) Most of the OpenBeOS source code has unit tests in the
current/src/tests directory.  I looked into building CppUnit tests
for the midi2 kit, but decided that it doesn't really make much
sense. Unit tests work best if you can test something in isolation,
but in the case of the midi2 kit this is very hard to achieve.

Because the classes from libmidi2.so always need to talk to the
midi_server, the tests depend on too many external factors. The
available endpoints, for example, will differ from system to system.
The spray and hook functions are difficult to test this way, too. So
instead of the CppUnit tests, we will probably write a few simple
test applications.

2) I started coding the housekeeping part of midi_server and
libmidi2. As I explained before, this is the code that keeps track
of the endpoints and allows you to change their properties. I am
following Be's protocol mostly, although from time to time I'm
making small changes.

This stuff will keep me busy the next few weeks. It all depends on
how much time I have, but with a little bit of luck, milestone1 will
be finished within a week of three, four.

That's it for today ;-)