[openbeos-midi] News from the front

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2002 19:10:57 +0100

Hi folks,

Let me explain what I have been up to in the past few weeks since I
took over the role of Midi Kit team lead. I have a large archive of
old BeOS applications, sample code, newsletters, and other
documentation stashed away on a pile of backup CD's, and I have been
busy sorting that all out. The result is a website dedicated to the
MIDI team. I had hoped for this website to be ready today, but
unfortunately, it isn't -- but I will upload it the coming week,
promise ;-)

Okay, some team business. From now on, I would like to send out a
brief status report once a week to keep you all informed of what is
going on. Posting status updates on a regular basis should ensure
that everyone knows who is doing what. I hope that it will prevent
any misunderstandings, people doing duplicate work, and nasty stuff
like that.

Of course, this only works if everyone who is actively contributing
also sends a similar message to the list each week. Just write up a
quick note of what you did last week, and the things you plan on
working on next week. (Of course, if there is nothing to report,
then you don't have to send such a message ;-) Thanks, guys, I
appreciate it!

To kick off, let me describe my plans for the coming week.
Obviously, I will be uploading the website. I also want to clean up
the current code in the CVS a little. From what I have understood,
the current headers are not really binary compatible, and somewhat
incomplete. I would also like to merge the two code branches that
exist now in src/kits/midi/, and provide stubs for the rest,
including libmidi2.

When all of this is done, we should have a pretty clear idea of what
we already have, and what we still need to do. Right now, that is
still somewhat of a mystery to me, and I want to bet that it is a
mystery to most of you as well. Unfortunately, without a clear plan,
this project (or any project) won't really go anywhere, and I rather
hope to avoid that. Once we know where we are, it is possible to set
milestones and divide up the work in tasks and assignments. It just
takes a little time for me to sort all of this out, so bear with me
;-)

Your friendly team lead,

Matthijs