[openbeos-midi] Re: MPU401 Specifications - maybe

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 12:07:53 +0100

Hi Shane,

> > If someone could find some official MPU401 spec [...]
>
> At the risk of having the wrong idea, I will announce
> that I have a (paper) copy of Roland Corporation's
> Technical Reference Manual for the MPU-401 [...]

That sounds exactly like an official MPU-401 spec to me ;-) From
what I understood, these reference manuals are hard to find, so it's
very good to know that you have one. The question is: do we really
need it?

Apparently, most soundcards only support the UART mode of the
MPU-401, not all the intelligent features. Does our MPU-401 kernel
module have to support these intelligent features, or just the UART
mode? In the latter case, I am sure we can dig up what we need by
looking at the various open source MPU-401 drivers. I also have some
old MS-DOS assembly code lying around, which seems to do most of
that.

Since I haven't studied the midi_server's driver stuff yet, I can't
answer that question. Maybe Phillipe or one of the other lurkers can
;-)

However, if we need to support all of the functionality of the
MPU401, then we could really use the official documents. Then the
question becomes: would you be willing to donate your reference
manual to OpenBeOS, or maybe xerox or scan us a copy?

Matthijs