[openbeos-midi] Re: MPU401 Specifications - maybe

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:53:19 +0100 (added by postmaster@wanadoo.fr)

> At the risk of having the wrong idea, I will announce
> that I have a (paper) copy of Roland Corporation's
> Technical Reference Manual for the MPU-401 (Also
> called MPU-IPC-T), printed in 1985.

That's the one.
Great!

>  Back about 8 years ago I used it to program the
> hardware device (the MPU401) to do simple recording
> and playback, through DOS using assembler commands. It
> includes a description of the MPU Data format,
> commands that could be sent to the MPU401, a Schematic
> Diagram for the MPU401, the meaning of the bits that
> arrive/go through ports 0x330 and 0x331 (or whichever
> other ones you might have changed them to),
> pseudo-assembler examples on how to do useful things
> with the MPU401 (eg. record a track, playback a track,
> etc.), how and when to enable/disable interrupts; all
> up about 70 pages, in type-written (courier) font (It
> was 1985!)
>  Is that the kind of specification you are looking
> for=3F  I believe that when the sound blaster came on
> the scene, it's midi was designed to emulate the
> operation of this specific hardware device, hence
> where the name sort of came from.

Yes, exactly. It's the MPU401 datasheet, kind of bible.
Okay, by learning from some open-source MPU401 drivers out there
we may find some tricky stuffs too when
time will come to rewrite the BeOS mpu401 kernel module.

>  BTW, I am a 23 year old in Australia.

And when you travel in another country=3F
;-)

Anyway, thanks.
I guess midi team leader will ve glad to head about any possibilities
convert this paper documentation into digital and host it at midi team
web...

-Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Philogyny recapitulates erogeny; erogeny recapitulates philogyny.