[openbeos-midi] MIDI Soft Synth Update

  • From: Ryan Leavengood <mrcode1234@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:14:47 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all,

Just a quick update to let you know I'm still alive and working on this
:)

Over the past month I've mostly been doing research.  I read through
one of the online MIDI specs, and I'm pretty confident I know how to
implement the various things required for a MIDI soft synth.  I've also
been trying to learn more about digital audio in general, both for this
project and also so I can help more on the Media Kit.

I haven't gotten into serious code yet though, because I decided I
needed a more solid foundation in C++ before I start the design and
implementation of this soft synth.  So I've been reading through some
basic and some more advanced C++ books.  Before anyone gets scared,
I've been developing professionally in Java for about 4 years now, so I
know how to code and design in general, it is just specific C++ issues
that I want to learn about.  I think taking the time and making a
careful design will be worth it.

After I finish up on my C++ research (which I should this week), I plan
to put together a design for the soft synth and post it here for a
quick review.  This design shouldn't be too complicated, but I think
getting a little feedback from those that lurk here will be helpful,
just in case.  I think there are many of you who have been working with
MIDI a lot longer than I have.

Until next time,
Ryan

http://search.yahoo.com