[openbeos-midi] Re: Freeverb

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 23:21:30 +0100

Hi Greg,

> As far as the MPU401 module, I started putting
> together some of the basic mpu401 commands for
> entering UART mode, reading and writing into a
> kernel module to contribute.

Cool!

> I don't think I want to write the whole module since
> it works closely with the midi_server [...]

It doesn't. The midi_server just does the administrative tasks for
registering endpoints, and broadcasts housekeeping notifications to
all apps that have created such endpoints. It does not concern
itself with the actual transfer of MIDI messages/events. It is true
that the BeOS R5 midi_server also publishes endpoints for the
devices from /dev/midi, but that could just as well be done by any
other application. However, I suppose the module would work closely
with the BMidiProducer and BMidiConsumer classes, which live in the
shared library libmidi2.so

> [...] I am away from my Be machine for the next 2 weeks
> on business and then vacation, but after that I can share
> anything I've done.

It would be great if you could already start the mpu_module project.
Even if you don't intend on writing the whole thing, then at least
we would have a good place to start from. In any case, thanks for
the information -- I am sure it will be useful.

Have a nice vacation!
Matthijs