[openbeos-midi] Re: Everybody Ready

  • From: "Paul Stadler" <paul_stadler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 00:50:09 +0900

>- It might be easier to implement the old MIDI Kit on top of midi2.

I haven't studied the subject enough just yet.  Is MIDI 2 a _true_ superset
of MIDI 1?  If so, do you feel that we could implement the existing API
easily and have it branch to the proper code inside the implementation
without affecting the prescribed API?  Thanks for your input!

This idea should certainly be entertained.  I would, however, seek proof
that this is indeed an advantage considering code-base mantainability, ease
of development, ease of conformity to the existing API, source-level
compatibility, etc...

Let's take a day to all study the MIDI1 and MIDI2 specifications (I know
some of us don't need this).  This seems to be the kind of thing that should
really be considered heavily as it is a major break from the prescribed
methodology (implement as already exists).

Those of you who have experience with MIDI1 and MIDI2: Do you see any
problems/complications with this?  If not, perhaps you can propose a new
architecture that will still work with existing applications?  I'm fearful
that this may be a fruitless tangent so please be prudent in consideration
of realizability of these ideas.

I think that either way, I would still urge that the MIDI1 development be
done first regardless of the framework in which it's done.  I'd like to
officially set this as the first milestone (mileboulder).  Minor milestones
will be completion of each class as indicated in the BeBook.

From the list of applications that you've indicated that make use of the
MIDI2 kit, it's evident that this will most likely need to be a OBOSR1
requirement.  All I can say is let's get started on MIDI1 so we can get
there.  I don't want the architecture to hold us back because that can be
changed later if need be.