[openbeos-midi] Everybody Ready

  • From: "Paul Stadler" <paul_stadler@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 11:02:57 +0900

All,

I'm anxious to get this thing going, and you probably are too.  The first
thing I'd like to do is come up with a development plan.  Since the API is
already layed out for us, there's not much surface level design needed, but
we can discuss guts a little bit if you like.  We don't need to be perfectly
clear on this but instead just need to get everyone moving in the same
direction.

Simply enough, we'll need to just run through and implement each class.
What I need to know from everyone is:

1) What your interest is (as far as which class).
2) What your bandwidth is.
3) What your hardware configuration is. (important for BMidiPort, and the
synth)
4) What your experience with MIDI is.
5) How willing you are to stray from (1).

Hopefully, we'll be able to find a good allocation for everyone such that
this thing can be implemented rapidly and with quality.

The order that I have in mind for the classes is something like this:

1) BMidi
2) BMidiText (so we can see what's going on)
3) BMidiStore (no hardware required here... just files)
4) BMidiPort (need hardware for this)
5) BSynth
6) BMidiSynth
7) BMidiSynthFile
8) BSamples

[A test app probably should be in there somewhere.]

The order above is one that satisfies some of the dependencies among
classes.  Personally, I believe in stubbing out the entire structure before
filling in the classes.  I don't know what methodology you are used to, so
please chip in your feedback there as well.  Please let me know what your
thoughts are on this.  Please don't hesitate to criticize and/or contribute.

Cheers,
Paul