[openbeos-midi] Re: BMidiEndPoint

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 12:50:42 +0100

Hi Jerome,

> Can you explain me what must do BMidiEndPoint::Acquire() and
> BMidiEndPoint::Release()

From the Be Newsletter Volume 4 Issue 3 (one of the few places where
Midi Kit 2is documented):

"The final thing I want to note about the Midi Kit is the
reference counting scheme. Each MIDI endpoint has a
reference count associated with it, so that the bookkeeping
associated with the endpoints is correct. When you construct
an endpoint, it starts with a count of 1. Once the count
hits 0, the endpoint will be deleted. This means that, to
delete an endpoint, you don't call the delete operator
directly; instead, you call BMidiEndpoint::Release(). To
balance this call, there's also a BMidiEndpoint::Acquire(),
in case you have two disparate parts of your application
working with the endpoint, and you don't want to have to
keep track of who needs to Release() the endpoint."

--
Matthijs Hollemans
All Your Software