[openbeos-midi] All your MIDI are belong to us

  • From: "Matthijs Hollemans" <matthijs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeos-midi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 12:02:36 +0100

Hi all,

Just in case you missed it, I have been appointed as new team lead
for the Midi Kit, for the time being. The reason for this is that
the previous team lead, Paul Stadler, has other obligations that
take up all of this time.

This obviously means that you are now my slaves and you must do as I
say! <evil laughter>Whoah hah hah</evil laughter>

But, seriously, I feel that progress on the Midi Kit has been a bit
slow, and somewhat uncoordinated. This is by no means your fault,
and I really appreciate the effort you guys have put into the Midi
Kit so far. But now the time has come to get this thing going again!

Who am I?

A little bit of background information on me: my name is Matthijs
Hollemans, and I am a 26-year-old Dutch shareware developer. BeOS
and me go way back, but I have been out of the loop since The Great
Focus Shift. Now I'm back ;-)

What is my job?

Simply put, my task is making sure everything works out smoothly,
and that stuff gets done. Of course, I will be writing code from
time-to-time, but mostly I am here to find answers to your questions
if you get stuck.

First I need to get up to speed, so I will be studying the BeOS Midi
Kit (how it works, what it does, and what we know about it) and the
source code that we have so far. Over the next couple of weeks I
will also be setting up a simple website for the MIDI team, where we
can gather all the resources that are interesting to us. I also plan
to clean up the CVS a little.

What do I need from you?

I need to know what we have done so far. Obviously, I have looked at
the code in the CVS repository, but you may have other code (or just
ideas) lying around that may be interesting to us. If you have any
of this, and you don't mind sharing it with the team, please send it
to me or the list. There is no point in throwing away all of the
work that has already been done.

I also need to know what you are working on right now, and what you
plan (or wish) to be working on in the future (or, what you really
do _not_ want to work on). Anything is fine with me, as long as we
don't have people duplicating each other's work. But please let me
know, so I can figure out where we are and how much work we still
have ahead of us ;-)

Oh yeah... I understood that it is customary for developers in other
OpenBeOS teams to send a weekly status email to their team lead. I
would appreciate it if you did that too, unless of course you didn't
really do anything and there is nothing to report. (In which case:
shame on you ;-)

That's it for now. If you have any questions or comments, don't
hesitate to email me directly, or leave a message on the Midi Kit
mailing list.

Matthijs Hollemans
All Your Software