To: <nvda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 09, 2010 4:18 PM
Subject: [nvda] Re: spelling of some words in sappy 4 voice

If you find this is a pattern, then you may be able to stop the behavior.
What happens when you look at web pages.  there may be some difference we
don't know about but if a link immediately before the spelled word is what
is causing the spelling to occur, it should occur on web pages as well.
Whether it does or not, you can try the following to see if the problem
stops:
Try setting NVDA not to announce links and see if the problem persists.
You probably already know where the setting is but if you aren't sure,
I'll tell you, to speed things up that it's in the document formatting
settings. You will have the inconvenience of changing the setting when you
want to hear links announced but you may wish to have that inconvenience
to solve the spelling problem.

Another solution, if the link is causing the spelling problem is to set
Outlook Express to read mail as plain text.  You will then not have to
change the NVDA link announcement setting and can leave it at the default.
If you do this, you may have to tab once when you open a message to read
it.  You will not see any links announced as links if you do this.  If you
want to see a message read as html for some reason, for example to follow
a link, then after the message is opened, you can issue the command alt
shift h.  The currently opened message will then be displayed as an html
message until you close it.

I wouldn't be surprised if you see more than one pattern that causes the
synthesizer to spell words.  You may need to try to eliminate this
behavior in some or many cases by using the speech dictionary.

Gene